Get a Closer Look at Kissimmee, FL
Kissimmee is a beautiful neighborhood just a short drive from Downtown Orlando. Given it’s close proximity to one of the most popular destinations in Florida (Disney World), Kissimmee has become quite popular amongst tourists in it’s own right. The community is heavily oriented towards families with a wide range of offered activities, including:
- Outdoor activities and swamp tours
- Spring training baseball games
- Themed dinner theaters
Downtown Kissimmee also has plenty to offer both residents and visitors. Popular activities include:
- Taking an evening stroll in Kissimmee Lakefront Park
- Getting some delicious ice cream at one of the local vendors
- Visiting the Monument of States – composed of minerals collected from each of the 50 states
Kissimmee is also a great location to consider staying if you’re planning on visiting one of the world famous amusement parks nearby.
Brief History of Kissimmee
The community was originally founded in the mid 1800’s, but wasn’t officially known as Kissimmee until 1883. The name itself was derived from the Native American word ‘Cacema’, which can be translated as ‘long water’. The town’s establishment was largely due to a contract set between the state of Florida and Hamilton Disston of Philadelphia. Disston established a 2 million acre drainage operation that was centrally run out of Kissimmee.
Over time, the town’s economy became more reliant on cattle ranching and citrus packing. Although consecutive freezes during the mid 1890’s severely crippled the citrus industry in the area. Cattle ranching was able to keep Kissimmee aloft until Walt Disney World opened it’s gates in 1971. Then tourism and development really took over as the dominant economic drivers in the local area.
Entertainment and Activities in Kissimmee
In order to sustain one of it’s biggest supporters, the town of Kissimmee has plenty of entertainment and activities available for first time visitors and residents alike. You don’t even need to visit Disney World or Sea World if you don’t feel like it. Here are some other Kissimmee activities worth looking into:
- SkyScapes Balloon Tours
- Florida EcoSafaris at Forever Florida (Zipline Safari)
- Cypress Lake Airboat Tours
- Chocolate Kingdom
- Happy Days Family Fun Center at Old Town
Good Dining Options in Kissimmee
As we mentioned before, Kissimmee has become renowned for the dining experiences that can be had in the area. If you’re interested in having a really memorable meal, then we suggest looking into some of these premier dining experiences in Kissimmee:
- Azteca’s Mexican Restaurant – Real authentic Mexican dishes
- Arabian Nights – Spectacular dinner show that includes horses
- Capone’s – Must-see gangster themed dinner show
- Fat Boys’ Bar-BQ – a favorite amongst people who live in the area
- Medieval Times – Exciting dinner show with a medieval theme set in huge castle
Communities like Kissimmee and Celebration cater to a large number of tourists, but they are also great places for families looking to buy a home in Central Florida. The offer upscale residential living in a good neighborhood within a short drive from Downtown Orlando. This is not the type of opportunity you want to pass up.